Jolly old Saint Nick arrives in less than a fortnight and many beautiful bunches of Christmas lilies are being bought to adorn mantelpieces, sideboards and dining tables. As this is a very popular time of year to have lilies in the home, and as we love animals, we feel it is our duty to offer a word of warning for your furry feline friends. Keep cats and lilies apart!
Lily toxicity is a devastating and potentially fatal reaction to lilies which affects all cats, especially the young and curious types. All parts of the lily are potentially toxic if ingested including the flowers, leaves and the pollen. Tiny amounts, even licking the pollen from their coat or drinking the water that the lilies are in, can cause toxicosis, so any exposure to true lilies (Oriental lilies as well as the Christmas variety) should be treated immediately
So remember if you do receive or buy lilies during the holiday season keep them well away from kitty to ensure she sees in the New Year in perfect health!