The search function searches the customer database for the following fields:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Company Name
- Phone number
- Tags (ie. vip, invoice-account)
- Other contacts on the account
Some tips for using the search function:
- Always enter a full name (ie. searching for Dan may not bring up people called Daniel).
- If a customer has a common name, always ask for their first and last name to avoid getting too many search results
- Spelling must always be correct. (ie. searching for Damien will not find customers whose name is spelt Damian).
Email address validation
When creating a new customer, their email address gets put through two different types of validation.
1- On the order form, it checks to make sure the email is a valid format (ie. that it contains an @ symbol and at least one . in the address)
2- When the order gets submitted to Shopify, Shopify checks the validity of the email address.
If you get an error message on the order confirmation screen asking you to enter a valid email address, return to editing the order and confirm the email address with the customer.